Here are the 5 things we know about the Los Angeles raid on fraudsters:
1. Two Nigerians – Messrs Iro and Igbokwe – were identified as the main brokers of fraudulent bank accounts. The duo coordinated with “money mules” to open accounts that could receive funds obtained through fraudulent means, according to court documents.
2. Charges: Online fraud schemes – including business email compromise (BEC) fraud, romance scams, and schemes targeting elderly people in the United States.
3. Co-conspirators involved in the criminal act are based in Nigeria, the United States, and other countries.
4. The charges contained in the criminal complaint and indictment are merely accusations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court, U.S. Department of Justice said in a statement.
5. According to the US federal rules of criminal procedure, if convicted by the judge, the criminals will forfeit properties and titles in the States.